ATTN McAfee VirusScan v9 users
PA Bear
2005-04-21 18:32:57 UTC
A recently released patch is causing problems in OE.

See this thread in McAfee Help Forums:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=45852
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Peter
2005-04-21 19:08:03 UTC
Thanks...I've been on that board since 4.30pm yesterday, with three hours
break for sleep...still no solution! (Other than system restore.)
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
PA Bear
2005-04-21 19:28:18 UTC
Here's the posted, temporary fix:

<QP>
We have already identified the issue with the email client problems. For now
please do the following for the email client problems:

Email Cient Slow
Summary:After an update to VirusScan version 9.1.06 your email client may be
acting abnormally. Please follow these instructions to see if it works in
your scenario.

Backup Your Registry
It doesn't hurt to be safe and make a backup. After you open regedit from
the directions below, go to the File menu and click export. Check the box at
the bottom that says all. Type something like Backup into the save dialog
and click Save. You may want to save it to your desktop.

Delete the Disablepladminusone Key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network
Associates\TVD\Shared Components\On Access
Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Disablepladminusone]:

Click Start

Click RUN

Type Regedit and press ENTER

Click on the + signs for each item below

+ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

+ Software

+ Network Associates

+ TVD

+ Shared Components

+ On Access Scanner

+ McShield

Click on Configuration

Right Click Disablepladminusone and Click delete.

Press OK to the confirmation box.

Reboot Your Computer

The full key is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components\On
Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Disablepladminusone

We should have an update for you very soon.

Thanks,
_________________
Doug Richards
Tier III Technical Support Engineer
McAfee - Consumer Division
</QP>
--
~PA Bear
Peter
2005-04-21 19:55:50 UTC
On a whim, I just re-downloaded v9.1.06...that key is no longer in the
registry (Disablepladminusone) and as far as I can see
everything works fine. I'll report back if I find anything.
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
PA Bear
Peter
2005-04-21 20:46:02 UTC
There's still a lot of wailing and beating of chests going on over at McAfee
Forums, I've tried to explain to them to uninstall MVS (those who kept the
update but diabled it) and then reinstall...deaf ears I'm afraid.
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Jason
2005-04-22 09:46:53 UTC
Post by PA Bear
<QP>
We have already identified the issue with the email client problems. For now
Email Cient Slow
Summary:After an update to VirusScan version 9.1.06 your email client may be
acting abnormally. Please follow these instructions to see if it works in
your scenario.
Backup Your Registry
It doesn't hurt to be safe and make a backup. After you open regedit from
the directions below, go to the File menu and click export. Check the box at
the bottom that says all. Type something like Backup into the save dialog
and click Save. You may want to save it to your desktop.
Delete the Disablepladminusone Key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network
Associates\TVD\Shared Components\On Access
Ya that's just what we need, users going into the registry and deleting
things. What possibly could go wrong with that? shheessh this could get
ugly.

Jason
Peter
2005-04-22 10:28:30 UTC
Late yesterday McAfee released an update to Viruscan 9 that fixed the
situation. (DAT 4474)
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Jason
PA Bear
2005-04-22 17:53:00 UTC
Post by Jason
Post by PA Bear
[...]
Take it up with McAfee Support. They're the source of the quote (which
you've truncated).
~PA Bear
Jason
2005-04-23 11:09:57 UTC
Post by PA Bear
Post by Jason
Ya that's just what we need, users going into the registry and deleting
things. What possibly could go wrong with that? shheessh this could get
ugly.
Take it up with McAfee Support. They're the source of the quote (which
you've truncated).
I'll be sure to tell folks your helpful advice when they come here after
screwing up thier system by going into the registry and deleting things.

Jason
Jan Il
2005-04-23 21:21:20 UTC
Post by Jason
Post by PA Bear
Post by Jason
Ya that's just what we need, users going into the registry and deleting
things. What possibly could go wrong with that? shheessh this could get
ugly.
Take it up with McAfee Support. They're the source of the quote (which
you've truncated).
I'll be sure to tell folks your helpful advice when they come here after
screwing up thier system by going into the registry and deleting things.
If they follow the instructions which states to be sure to backup the
Registry, then if they do delete something accidentally they will still have
the backup to restore. Is this not something that you do, or recommend?

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.
Peter
2005-04-23 23:45:26 UTC
No need to back up or alter anything. The latest DAT 4474 solves the
problem. If you find after all this that your HDD has lost some gigs, turn
off system restore, do a file clean up and defrag then turn it back on.
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Post by Jan Il
Jan Il
2005-04-24 00:14:11 UTC
Hi Peter :-)
Post by Peter
No need to back up or alter anything. The latest DAT 4474 solves the
problem. If you find after all this that your HDD has lost some gigs,
turn off system restore, do a file clean up and defrag then turn it back
on.
I'm sure the OP will be pleased to hear this.

However, I stand by my statement that everyone should backup the Registry
before doing anything in it.

Hope this helps :-)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jurren Bouman [MVP - Security]
2005-04-22 20:45:32 UTC
Post by PA Bear
A recently released patch is causing problems in OE.
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=45852
Patch has been released. See:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=45912